Friday, October 11, 2013

Exceeding Expectations

As we prepared for this trip, part of our training dealt with expectations.  We all have them, and the problem sometimes can be that expectations are too high and we should be careful not to be disappointed and  discouraged. 

For me this meant that I should not expect too much from this trip emotionally.  It could just turn out to be a hum-drum experience and not much would come out of it afterwards.  The advice we were given was not to expect too much, and thus we could avoid disappointment. 

I thought initially this was good advice and did not question it much.  I prepared myself emotionally not to get too excited or get shipwrecked by waves of righteous indignation.  I thought, "This is only one of many trips that are made to this country by affluent American Christians, and there would be many more after that.  It's not that big of a deal." 

I thought this before I established relationships with individuals here in El Salvador.  I met Carmen, a 68-year-old man and his brother Pablo, ten years younger.  I watched them work and worked alongside them learning from them.  I talked with them and got to know them.  They became my friends.  When Pablo climbed up on a dangerous pile of bricks to build the wall, I was concerned for him.  I admired his strength when I saw him cut and bend rebar single-handedly.  I needed help doing what he did easily.  He let me use his machete without hesitation to help cut some bamboo.  His brother Pablo asked me to help lay bricks and showed me how.  He joked that this could be my new career.  These men are now my friends.  Now things are different.  It changes everything. 

I'm not sure what to do with advice about expectations now.  Having a friend from El Salvador seems to supercede those concerns.  I like my new friends, and I want to be there for them.  It's as simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment