Friday, October 11, 2013

Pastors

What do we admire in a person?  Honesty, diligence, patience, courage, humility?  The list can be a long one.  Seldom do we meet an individual who can impress us with multiple character traits worthy of admiration. 

Leading a group of people in any context is a challenge.  But in the context of the church, it is an even more complex project.  I take my hat off to anyone who has devoted themselves to this life.  Pastors are underestimated in their abilities and capabilities. 

Bernie, who leads our group, has led many other groups on service trips abroad.  He is a retired pastor and has been a tremendous resource to all of us on this trip.  His experience and wisdom have kept our group on track.  He is a great example of what it takes to have a pastor's heart.

Another example is Pastor Santos who leads a local church that we partner with here in El Salvador.  He has suffered from disability and this has given him a special place in his heart for those people in his community with special needs.  He is full of energy and joy when he speaks.  He works hard for his flock.  He has wonderful leadership qualities.  He does not allow circumstances to limit him in seeking ways to serve others.  He is a great example to me.  And he is my friend.

In the past, I have been only too complascent in my selfishness.  I am entering a stage, albeit late in life, in which serving others is more of a priority for me.  The examples of Bernie and Santos are a great encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment